The Department of Driver Services is committed to expediting the entry of veterans into civilian employment through the transportation industry.
Military Service Members: Applying For a Georgia Commercial License
The Military CDL Skills Test Waiver will allow qualified military service members the option to apply for a Commercial Driver License (CDL) without having to take the skills (Road) test.
Military service members that satisfy ALL the following criteria are eligible for the waiver;
- Active duty or military service members that have been honorably discharged within 1 year or less.
- Active duty or military service members that are experienced in operating a commercial motor vehicle (CMV) that is of the same class and type, for at least 2 years immediately preceding his/her honorable discharge from the military.
Note: Military service members that DO NOT meet the above criteria must apply through the regular CDL process. For more information visit the CDL Homepage at http://www.dds.ga.gov/commercial/
Military service members must complete the Military CDL Skills Test Wavier form in its entirety.
- The front page must be completed and signed by the military service member.
- The back page must be completed and signed by his/her Commanding Officer (CO).
Note: The CO must certify what kind of vehicle(s) the applicant has operated, for at least 2 years immediately preceding his/her discharge from the military. Military CDL Skills Test Wavier.
All fees must be paid:
- CDL Application Fee -$35
- License Fee - $20
Military CDL Skills Test Waiver Application Process
- The military service member can visit any DDS Customer Service Center to complete the appropriate knowledge test(s).
- Complete the Commercial Driver’s License application and notify the team member you are applying for the Military CDL Skills Test Waiver.
To ensure you have all the necessary documentation/forms please reference the following required documents:
- Military service member must successfully pass the knowledge tests (minimum passing score 80 for all CDL Test)
Note: The CDL knowledge test(s) cannot be waived
Commercial Driver’s License: Restrictions
Based on the responses from the Military CDL Skills Test Wavier application the following restrictions may apply:
- Full air brakes - No restriction code required
- Air over Hydraulic - Restriction code Z
- No Air brakes - Restriction code L
- Only goose neck truck (no Truck Trailer) - Restriction code O
- Automatic Transmission – Restriction code E
Note: The CDL knowledge test(s) cannot be waived. The transfers of School Bus(s) and /or Passenger (P) endorsements under this Waiver program are prohibited.
Last Updated On: 8/9/2016