- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to apply.
- Pass Vision Exam.
- Pass applicable Road Skills Test.
- Possess a valid Georgia Driver's License.
- Possess a valid Class AP or BP Instructional Permit for Classes A or B.
- Certify their Driving Category
- Provide Medical Certification if required.
- Provide Medical Waivers, if required.
- New to Georgia applicants must surrender any out-of-state driver's license/permit/ID card.
- New to Georgia applicants previously issued a driver's license/permit/ID card in another state, and that card has been lost or stolen, the applicant must provide a certified copy of his or her driving record or motor vehicle report from the state that issued the card. The MVR must be dated within the last 30 days. The DDS does not accept uncertified copies printed from websites, but a fax may be sent to the DDS directly from the other state agency.
Additional Requirements for Hazmat Endorsement
- Pass the Hazmat Endorsement Test
- Pass TSA Background Check.
- Documentation showing your identity, residential address, full social security number, and U.S. citizenship or proof of lawful status in the United States. Click here for more information.
- All documents must be in English.
FEES and TERMS, select for details.
Applicants between the ages of 18 to 21 may obtain a commercial driver's license, but will be restricted to drive in Georgia only. On or after the 21st birthday, applicant must go into any Customer Service Center to have the "Georgia Only" restriction removed.
Last Updated On: 8/10/2016
- Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings (GVWR), which determines the class of commercial driver's license being issued.
- Any other applicable endorsement exams desired.